Friday, January 23, 2009

Friday!

The weekend, finally :) AND it's a long weekend. Monday is AUSTRALIA DAY!!! Those of you who know me are aware that Canada Day is my favourite day of the year. So, I suppose that while I'm here, I will adopt January 26th as my new favourite day. I've already purchased some beautiful Australia Day hair clips, which have pom poms and are quite gaudy. I will display them proudly. So here are some various observations from the Canadian perspective of Australia so far...

-> what I would call a beer cozy (those thingys you put your beer bottle in to keep it cold) is called a "cooler" here. Makes sense! If you say "beer cozy" they will laugh at you...
-> following from that, a cooler (as in, for camping) is called an "eskie" I love it! I think that's super cute, and I think that Canadians should start following suit
-> Malls are never malls, but shopping centres - I asked a guy where the mall was and received a very blank stare
-> There are two buttons on most Australian toilets. These denote a half-flush and a full-flush. I'm sure you don't need me to go more into detail than that! Water conservation all the way!
-> Lots of short forms (e.g. University is never university, but uni. McDonalds is "Macca's" and so forth)
-> Dad will agree with this next one. As a continuation of the water conservation theme: The Queensland government sent out a sand timer to each house in the state. It has a little suction cup so that you can stick it in your shower. When the timer runs out, you should be done your shower (it lasts exactly 4 minutes). So if I take a shower every second day....does that mean I can have an 8 minute shower?? Isn't that logical???

So who reads this thing, anyway? Sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself.....

3 comments:

  1. Leana and Jeremy, You are not talking to yourself!!! Just read the whole thing and feel just like we were there! So glad to know you are there, settling, and are not thirsty. You are also inspiring me to post a few new pages to our blog, which has been deserted since the Fall. http://bobbiandleerv.blogspot.com. I'll keep checking in, you should receive the annual Christmas letter( you are featured) by email soon. Bobbi and Lee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi BobbiAndLee! Excellent - I had no idea you were reading this. Which is really why I asked the question - I don't know who is following this at all, and I was curious. Apparently you're the only ones -- hehehehe. I looked at your blog as well - pretty neat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read your blog!! I catch up on my days off and I always enjoy them :)

    ReplyDelete