Here I am, sitting outside on the porch on another gorgeous sunny day. Thinking to myself - we REALLY need a lawn mower!
This week has been spent job-hunting, working on my statistics course, doing more walking, and lots of reading. I've read quite a few books since I've been here. I just finished The Poisonwood Bible, which was one of the best books I've read this year! (Haha, yes I know it's only January 22, but really it's a fantastic book). I've also read The Outlander (Canada Reads!), The Appeal, He Died with a Felafel (sic) in his Hand, Kitchen Confidential, Pope Joan, The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox, The Floating Island...I'm currently reading "Plumb" a book by an author from New Zealand. So as you can see - I wasn't kidding! I raided Wendy's library and am also quite happy to have a library across the street :)
The other day I went on a three hour walk, in search of the elusive "Bogan and Sons Hardware". It seems that hardware stores are quite difficult to find here! Or I'm looking in all the wrong places...Either way, I should have taken the name as a sign that my search was destined to fail:
The term bogan (pronounced /ˈboʊgən/, rhyming with slogan) is Australian and New Zealand English slang, usually pejorative or self-deprecating, for a person who is, or is perceived to be, of a lower-class background. According to the stereotype, the speech and mannerisms of "bogans" indicate, poor education, cheap clothing and uncultured upbringing. 'Bogans' usually reside in economically disadvantaged suburbs (often outer metropolitan) or rural areas[1].
Poor Mr Bogan, Even a Canadian girl knows that wasn't a very smart choice for the name of your business. Alas, when I finally found it, it had gone out of business. All I want is purple paint for my fridge!!!!!
Jeremy will finish his first week of medical school tomorrow. I don't want to go into too much detail on here, but it's definitely (as can be expected) quite intense. Monday - Friday, 8 or 9 hours a day. Tomorrow though - the day ends with a university sponsored keg party. Oh Australia! Why are you so cool??
Missing you guys. xox
No fair, nurses never get uni sponsered keg parties!!!! Miss you too!
ReplyDelete