Monday, February 24, 2014

A Hidden Gem

My hidden gem is my favourite place in Australia so far - Stradbroke Island.

Stradbroke Island is a quick ferry trip from Brisbane, but often gets overlooked for Fraser Island, Moreton Island, the Whitsundays, etc.  I would guess the locals probably prefer it that way! 

We heard about 'Straddie' right away, from Jim and Wendy who put us up during the first couple of weeks in Australia while we looked for our own place.  They make regular trips out there and usually spend at least a couple of weeks a year in a rented house on the island with their daughters, grandchildren, and whoever else wants to come along! 

I've only actually been to Stradbroke Island twice, and now that we've moved away from Queensland I wish desperately that I would have spent more time there.  I really would have liked to go when my family was visiting at the end of 2011, but it gets really crazy there around Christmas and it just didn't work out.  Our first trip was in April 2009.  Jeremy, Tracee, Sean and I booked a campsite at Cylinder Beach and put up our tent city.  The view was amazing - less than a minute walk and you saw gorgeous blue ocean and perfect scenery.  Idyllic.  One morning on a coffee run, we stopped by the side of the road to check out the view and saw dolphins frolicking away.  The water temperature was perfect...the weather was lovely...how could you not fall in love with a place like that?  The second time I went was when Ross and Kath were visiting at the end of 2012.  I managed to take off a half day of work so that we could spend Sunday night at the beach house they had rented with Wendy and Jim and I'm so glad that I did!  Wendy and Jim's daughter Chantal was there as well, with her daughter Eloise.  I crammed as much as I could into that tiny trip!  We swam at the beach, swam at Brown Lake, ate a phenomenal barbecued leg of lamb dinner, drank gin and tonic, and in the morning did the North Gorge walk.  All too soon it ended and I had to head back into Brisbane to work my half day. 

I'm still waiting for a long weekend to happen so that Jeremy and I can go explore Kangaroo Island (I may be waiting a looooooong time - junior doctors tend to be given holiday shifts so more senior staff can do things like explore Kangaroo Island!)

Pictures of the first trip back in 2009:

View near our campsite.
 
Tracee at Brown Lake

Stunning views everywhere you look

Me ruining the view :P

  
Tent city!






























3 comments:

  1. It looks beautiful! Australia has so many hidden gems.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks gorgeous. Kangaroo Island is also incredibly special. You'll love it when you finally get there, but it's definitely not a "hidden" gem like this lovely spot,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks really amazing! Man, I am learning about so many places I need to see from this blog challenge!

    ReplyDelete