Monday, February 3, 2014

An object that makes me feel at home

Home, let me come home, home is wherever I'm with you!  Whenever I hear this song, I get a bit nostalgic.  We've had our ups and downs in Australia, but I've always felt this way.



Not to objectify Jeremy, but I would have to say he is definitely the 'thing' that makes me feel most at home here, halfway across the world.  Our entire marriage (minus four months) has been spent in Australia, but we had three years together in Ottawa before we moved here.  Having grown up in the same area, we have both shared and independent memories of Ottawa.  He is the only other person who knows my family and friends back home, and shares our Australian friends and experiences as well.


The other object that is really important in reminding me of home is my computer.  Through this, I can see my loved ones in Canada...I can get a tour of a new house...plan my brother's bachelor party...be shown how much snow there is...keep them up to date with what I'm doing...Skype from my little pool in the backyard.  I can post updates on Facebook, post pictures of our strange holidays (Coober Pedy, Oodnadatta Track), chat about meaningless or important topics, look at pictures from years ago and reflect on all the changes that have occurred.  I can update my blog, which I have been doing for five years (sometimes frequently, other times it sits abandoned).  I can buy plane tickets for a trip home and order gifts to be sent.  It keeps me connected on a daily basis.  It's hard to imagine doing this 30 years ago, when you needed to be reliant on crackly long distance phone calls and calculating time zone differences.

10 comments:

  1. Do you have a post about your Coober Pedy holiday? My husband wanted to go there until we saw an episode of Dirty Jobs where they went to Coober Pedy. It was definitely an eye opener!! Anyhoo, I'd love to hear about your experience there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://leanersinaustralia.blogspot.com.au/2014/01/beat-heatcoober-pedy.html#comment-form

    There's a link to my second Coober Pedy holiday!! Hahaha. Twice is enough, and 2-3 days is more than enough time to see/do everything, but I would definitely recommend it - it's an intriguing place! You would also need to stay underground, obviously :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this song. It is the perfect sentiment! I agree - you have to around people you really love to truly feel at home!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with you on the importance of our computers! Such an essential item for the expat life. My husband was attending Carlton University when we met, so I have many happy memories of Ottawa. When we visited his sister in Ottawa in 2012, I was struck by how much it reminded me of Melbourne. It's a beautiful city.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad that you have good memories of Ottawa. It's a lovely city! When/what was your husband studying at Carleton? My husband did a couple of degrees there, and I spent a year there doing Journalism before switching over to Ottawa U :)

      Delete
    2. He studied accounting from 1988 to 1992. I remember skating with him from his apartment down the canal to his classes. Amazing that you can do that! p.s. I've tried commenting a couple of more times on your subsequent posts, but they seemed to get lost out in blogland ...

      Delete
  5. I don't know where I'd be without my laptop. Facebook and Skype are just invaluable for staying connected with family and friends.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Home is def where the heart is, and our partners really can make or break our connection to our new homes abroad! I feel the same about my computer and smart phone... it's amazing how one piece of technology can remove 11K miles, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this song. I agree- having the love of your life by your side makes all the difference. And thank goodness the expat life is easier now. Hooray for technology!

    ReplyDelete
  8. To true, the computer technologies and affordable communications have taken a lot of the pain out of expat living, I'd be lost without my connections.

    ReplyDelete