Today is the first day of February, and the first day of the blog challenge! I will be following a series of prompts, which will be outlined in the title for the day. February looks to be an exciting month, with the Adelaide Fringe Festival starting mid-Feb and running for a month. We also have a few potential visitors swinging through in the next few weeks, which should be entertaining.
I prefer sitting outside in general, but when I write blogs I tend to be in the living room. The glare of the sun makes it difficult for me to write outside on my laptop. I could use my iPad but I don't like writing long things on it. So...the living room it is!
This is the view directly across from me. On the coffee table, you will note my diary (aka agenda/planner/MY ENTIRE LIFE) and a couple of folders. The folders contain important documents such as transcripts, degrees, police checks, etc and are sitting there because I needed them the other day when I was submitting my 'Expression of Interest' for permanent residency. There is a fireplace, which we have never used...it actually gets cold enough in winter to justify the use of a fireplace, but I feel like we might accidentally burn down the house if we tried. The mantel has photo albums from Canada and wedding pics. The built in bookshelf was definitely a bonus - it was pretty bare when we moved in, but it has been taken over by random books and board games.
To my left is the entertainment centre - TV, computer with tons of shows/movies, Wii, games, etc. More importantly, Salmon the cat is napping on the chair. He sometimes keeps me company in here. It's also a very clever spot, since it's directly beneath the air conditioner, which we try not to run...but when the temperature is 35+ we feel like that's a reasonable excuse. A corner of a painting is visible as well - we decided the walls were too bare and went searching for some art to put up. We got this painting from a guy in Port Adelaide who paints in his spare time. It livens the place up a bit!
To my right is the window looking on to James Street. Many houses in Adelaide have these outdoor shades to try and keep the inside from getting too hot on the scorching summer days. It's a gorgeous day outside - yikes, just looked up the weather and apparently it's already 39 degrees and set to rise to 42. The air conditioner isn't on at the moment, and I'm still quite comfortable in her. Plans for the day include sitting out back in the pool finishing my book club book. Life is rough!
the weather down under sure does have some extremes, makes for a lot of fun trying to figure out how to use your space effectively
ReplyDeleteWhat are you reading for your book club? More importantly, does your book club actually discuss the book? I started my own book club here in Sydney with fellow American expats - we never really discussed the book much - much to my dismay. Lol.
ReplyDeleteWe're reading Half of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. We tend to discuss the books for the first half of the meeting and then kind of veer on to other subjects. This little independent bookshop run them - the owner puts you in a random group and then you have monthly meetings at the bookshop...it's really cute.
ReplyDeleteYikes, I just stepped outside and you can definitely feel the heat!!
Think I'm going to look through your posts for more pics of Salmon! I love cats. And you guys discussing books just gave me an idea. Perhaps I should blog more about the books I read. I never really thought about that. Hmmm...
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI was in Adelaide over Christmas! Is it generally that hot in the summer (upper 30s)?? You have some beautiful wine country in that area, I really enjoyed my time there! Thanks for the great post!
ReplyDeleteHope you'll share if you see some things in the Adelaide Fringe this month!
ReplyDeleteI would love to be part of a book club. I haven't found the right one for me here in Melbourne. Anyway, I like your space - especially the bookshelves.
ReplyDelete