Sundays are days for responding to quotes, in this case one from The Lord of the Rings.
When I read these words and apply them to my situation in Australia, I guess I would have to say that I never really considered myself to be 'wandering'. We came here with a specific purpose (medical school for Jeremy) and I also had the hope that I would be accepted into the Master of Speech Pathology program. Australia gave me the chance to find a career as a speech pathologist, which makes me incredibly happy.
When we moved from Brisbane to Adelaide, we found a city that we fell in love with and can see ourselves living in permanently. I felt a bit lost right after the move to Adelaide when I applied for several jobs and was rejected, but then I stumbled upon my dream job which has made me feel like my quality of life has skyrocketed. I always look forward to going to work now!
We found many friends, and a few really close friends who I imagine us always keeping in touch with. While these friends are scattered across the country now (us in Adelaide, others in Brisbane, Sunshine Coast, Hervey Bay, Hobart, Melbourne, etc) we still make time to catch up and we have had several visitors in Adelaide over the past year.
I do have my days of missing Canada - friends and family in particular, and I always liked the city of Ottawa. I do feel though, that if we had stayed I wouldn't have found all of the opportunities that I've been presented with in Australia. This is somewhere I never imagined myself, but now we have put down roots and I have found another home.
On another note, this video has been making the rounds: "Americans taste test Australian snack food". It's a bit of a laugh...but seriously, you are NOT supposed to eat Vegemite off a spoon!
http://www.mix.com.au/whats-hot/hot-and-viral-news/2014/1/americans-taste-test-austarlian-snack-food/
Thanks for the video. That was funny. The people from Australia who made comments on the bottom were right about one thing: they should have given them Tim Tams! But I can relate. I find most of the food in Australia NOT to my liking. But I didn't grow up on those flavours. That's what makes us different! If Australians were given some typical American foods, they probably wouldn't like them either. It's funny how the Australians will try to replicate American food, but it's still just Australian. Well, that's my opinion anyway...
ReplyDeleteToo true on video and the tim tams, spoons of extra salty vegemite is a shock to the system. Finding new jobs and new friends in new cities can be a great adventure, you never know where they might take you.
ReplyDeleteHow nice that finding your dream job here in Australia - has allowed you to feel so settled & actually allow you to look forward to work. That is great.
ReplyDeleteThe video cracked me up. I agreed on the shapes and chicken crisps. lol. Vegimite on a spoon is horrible, but I dont' care for it really in any "proper" ways either to be honest! lol.
ReplyDeleteI tried Vegemite years ago and I haven't had any desire to taste it again - maybe I should revisit it? My husband loves the stuff!!!
ReplyDeleteI find it really interesting that you feel that Australia offered you professional opportunities that your home city could not. I've often thought about that. I know my opportunities were limited back in Miami, where I'm from. I look forward to seeing what Melbourne holds for me.
ReplyDeleteI have a lot to say about the university system in Canada vs Australia. My husband applied for med school in Canada 3 or 4 times (the last application he had a Masters in neuroscience with an A average) and didn't get in. He applied to Australia once and was accepted immediately. I hadn't applied for speech pathology yet when we left, but from what I hear the circumstances are similar. I hope you find your dream in Melbourne!
ReplyDelete