Maybe a more fitting topic would be something I still haven't seen in my home country! When you have a (potentially) limited amount of time in a place, there's more of an incentive to get out and see as much as you can. We have done a pretty good job so far and only have WA and ACT to cross off our list - I'm looking forward to seeing Perth, Margaret River, some of the beautiful beaches in WA that are more out of the way (a place called Esperance looks absolutely stunning in photos), and I'd like to see Canberra (coming from the capital of Canada, I feel a kinship with other lesser known capitals of the world!)
In a country as big as Australia there are clearly heaps of places I still haven't been. For the purpose of this challenge, I will focus on something very specific: the big things of Australia. When my brother Ronan was visiting, we inadvertently ended up seeing several of the 'big things' - the big pineapple, the big macademia, the big banana and the big prawn. We then decided to make it our mission to see as many big things as possible! (I'm still waiting for him to return so that we can accomplish this goal). Since then, I have seen the giant koala, the big pie, the big avocado, the big rocking horse, the big apple (but not as big as the one in Ontario!), the big barrel, the big rum bottle, the big church block bottle, and the big winch.
Ooh, just remembered the challenge is to talk about something I
haven't seen. I just got a bit too excited making my list of things I had seen. There are still several items that I have not seen, and I would argue that an excellent trip around Australia could be undertaken with the sole purpose of seeking out these large objects! Some of the most interesting and fascinating ones that I have not yet encountered are:
 |
| The Golden Gumboot in Tully, North Queensland |
 |
| The Big Chook in Moonbi,NSW |
 |
| The Big Merino in Goulburn, NSW |
 |
| The Big Poo in Kiama, NSW (Yeah...seriously!) |
 |
The Big Stubbie AND The Big Pink Panther is Larrimah, NT |
 |
| The Big Galah in Kimba, SA |
 |
| The Big Olive in Tailem Bend, SA |
 |
| The Big Platypus in Latrobe, TAS |
 |
| The Big Dead Fish in Fish Creek, VIC |
 |
| The Big Camera in Meckering, WA |
This is just a small assortment of the many, many options! It only serves to remind me how many big things there are left to see...Ronan better come visit again soon!
I made a special point to get this finished early in the day as Jeremy and I are off to "A Day on the Green" at Leaconfield Wines later this afternoon. We're going to see Hunters and Collectors, Something for Kate, You Am I and British India at this outdoor winery concert. There are buses running to and from the winery from the city so that people can get there and back safely. We're meeting up with Maria, a lovely Irish Occupational Therapist from my work, and some of her friends. I went to a similar thing in New Zealand and it was a really lovely relaxed atmosphere and I remember feeling very calm and happy. That being said, I should probably go and start getting ready. Happy Saturday!
I love Big Things, too! Sadly, the big church block was out for repairs when we went.
ReplyDeleteOf the ones you pictured, the Big Merino is the only one I've seen (my very first big thing, in fact), so clearly I have a lot more to go!
I had no idea there were so many big things in Australia! The Big Poo? And every time I even hear someone say chook, I just bust up.
ReplyDeleteI know! I love the word chook 😃
ReplyDeleteHave you watched "Charlie & Boots" with Paul Hogan - a father and son take a road trip where they stop and see a lot of different big things. Good movie. Made me want to see big things too.
ReplyDeleteOooh, no, I should put that on the list! As if there's a movie themed around going to see big things! Hehe.
ReplyDelete