Sunday, February 9, 2014

“‘Expat Syndrome’ is a condition whereby many expatriates see mostly either the best of their own nationality & the worst of the locals, or see the opposite.” -T Crossley

Canada and Australia are both wonderful countries that I am privileged to call home.  There are parts of each of them that I appreciate, and things that drive me crazy.  I don't think I suffer from 'expat syndrome'.  I feel like I'm pretty balanced...however, since Australia allowed me the opportunity to train in my desired area I think I probably have a bit of a soft spot for it.  Here are some good/not so good aspects from both countries.

  • I don't notice a big difference between Canadians and Australians.  I think we're generally friendly, welcoming and fairly laid-back. 
  • Weather - Adelaide is excellent.  Sunny and dry, very little rain, makes you want to spend all your time outside.  Canada is...Canada.  Winter can be beautiful but by the end, you want to tear your hair out!  I probably appreciate summer more in Canada though, because it's so fleeting.
  • Although I'm used to the cost of things here now, when I visit Canada I feel like everything is so affordable! 
  • It enrages me to get my OSAP statement for the year and see that I've barely made a dent in it and they're taking a ridiculous amount of interest.  It's especially infuriating when compared to the HECS system that they have here (which is infinitely better)
  • You always hear news stories from Canada about the shortage of doctors, etc but nothing is done about increasing positions in programs.  Australia has many more spots, but needs to be careful about things like the 'intern crisis'.
  • Cars last much longer here because of the better conditions and no need for salting the roads.  You can get quite a decent used car!
  • Variety of products - Canada wins here, but I really don't notice it much anymore.  And besides, you can order pretty much anything off the internet!
It upsets me when people visit and say negative things abut Australia (not that this happens often, but when it does I'm very sensitive about it).  I feel protective of Australia, and even if you can't get pizza delivered at 2 am or go to the grocery store after 5 pm on a Saturday...do you really need to?

4 comments:

  1. I have discovered that I don't really need to go shopping in the evenings, although it bothered me initially. In fact, I think we are better off for the reduced shopping hours, and I wish North America could turn back the clock in this respect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny how your perspective changes. First couple of years: UGGGGGGGGGGH, WHY CAN'T STORES BE OPEN UNTIL 9 PM LIKE IN CANADA, THIS IS CRAZY!! Now: Meh, I'll just go on Thursday evening or on the weekend, no big deal!

      Delete
  2. Michigander here. One of the things that amazes me about the cars... "But, why is there no rust?" Right. They don't have to salt their roads to create safer driving conditions. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You don't really think about the damage the salt is doing until you have something to compare it to. Winter driving is something I don't miss AT ALL!!

    ReplyDelete