Saturday, February 15, 2014

What the tourists never see in Adelaide that they're really missing out on

I feel like when tourists visit Adelaide, they remain in the CBD, Glenelg, and will probably take a jaunt out to wine country.  Being surrounded by world class wine regions, there are a variety of options.  Barossa is a popular choice as well as Clare, which is a bit farther away. 

My absolute favourite (and one that is maybe not as well known) is McLaren Vale.  It's a smaller region south of Adelaide, still renowned but possibly less travelled.  There's a winery called Oxenberry which makes a delicious 'grapple' cider and we like to stop here for 'manwiches' for lunch.  A tourism description might paint a better picture: McLaren Vale is one of Australia’s renowned wine regions, famous for producing some the best wines in the world, and with over 65 cellar doors. The region is thriving, and the energy and passion of the local community is infectious.  The area is only minutes away from the stunning coastline and beaches that influence so much of our lifestyle, culture and primary production.

Victor Harbor is another gem that tourists who don't have a lot of time on their hands might miss out on.  We visited here on a whim with our friends Jules, Bruce and Billy and I was entranced with this lovely seaside town.  Here is a description from the SA tourism website:  Victor Harbor is all about the sun, surf, sand, stunning views and intimate wildlife encounters.  It's here that you'll find the Little Penguins of Granite Island, Southern Right Whales blowing into Encounter Bay, and some of South Australia's best surf at beaches like Petrel Cove, Chiton Rocks and the Dump.  Granite Island can be reached via a 600 metres causeway from Victor Harbor. Take a Clydesdale-drawn tram or walk across and absorb the stunning sea views.  Victor Harbor features outstanding early colonial architecture, good pubs, cafes and restaurants, and plenty of accommodation and fun events to attend. 

As for the city of Adelaide itself, I have to think a bit harder.  Just south of Glenelg is the suburb of Brighton which is a similar beachy suburb but less flashy and touristy.  Tourists might be aware of the massive Adelaide Fringe Festival (which is on right now!) but be less privy to the zillion other festivals that occur over the year - there is seriously a CHEESE festival!  Splash Adelaide is a local group which has formed to invigorate Adelaide and use its spaces to their full potential.  I have attended several of their events and always enjoyed them.  For example, the monthly Fork on the Road food truck festivals, the outdoor screening of The Lion King in conjunction with yummy dessert bar Onyx, the cider festival, the Sunday night markets...Splash is a great place to look for random events happening around Adelaide!

9 comments:

  1. Wish I'd read this when we went to Adelaide! Just had a day and didn't really know what to do with ourselves, so I think we squandered it. We did do half a day in Clare, but then went to CBD and just wandered. I did manage to see The Big Scotsman. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just wanted to say that since you have been writing in this blog more frequently, I really want to come visit you sooooooon!! Maybe it has a little something to do with the minus one billion degree temperatures as of late.

    I'm thinking this year is just too busy with other trips (as I'm sure you will agree), but I think (I KNOW) I will have a visit to you at the top of my to do list next year! I'm so excited that I will get to see you twice this year! I'm already sad thinking about saying goodbye again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! That sounds excellent - we will see each other twice this year, and then you can come see all that Adelaide has to offer the following year! It will make up for not seeing each other at all in 2012 and 2013. I have a friend visiting right now - she lives in Brisbane but is from Edmonton and is actually doing her 'farewell Australia' tour before heading back to Alberta for good at the beginning of March!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never been to Adelaide, but the festivals sound awesome. I love festivals, especially the ones that involve food and crafts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really really want a grapple cider and a manwhich now! Lol. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you been to Adelaide yet? I will personally take you on a McLaren Vale tour which consists of both of these things if you head over this way! :)

      Delete
  6. I love small festivals like that- sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We did Adelaide over Christmas holidays and did McLaren Vale. LOVE the cellar doors there. Oliver's Taronga was so nice, but our favorite cellar door featured Battle of Bosworth reds, yum! So glad you wrote this up! Next time we're there, we'll have to check out some of your other suggestions!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice! It's good to hear of some other things that people have enjoyed. We are actually heading to McLaren Vale tomorrow with a friend who has never been to Adelaide so we might check out some of your suggestions!

    ReplyDelete