Wednesday, February 5, 2014

I was at the airport and...........

Well, first I was on a plane from Toronto to Ottawa, dressed in my red and white polka dot dress on July 1st 2011, my second visit home since moving to Australia at the beginning of 2009.  I was flying into the nation's capital on my most favourite day (Canada Day) and was looking forward to being picked up by my best friend at the airport.  We were heading back to my brother's for a Canada Day BBQ where I would surprise my mum, who had no idea I was coming for a visit.

I was on a plane from Toronto to Ottawa, super excited to be in the right place on my favourite day, looking forward to seeing friends and family, and I was sobbing.  I was trying to hide it from the flight attendants (I'm sure they're used it it though).  What would I say?  I'm just really happy to be going home and I've missed Ottawa and hearing that we're starting to make our descent has made me cry even more?  I shed a tiny tear back in 2009 as we took off from the Ottawa airport, but I wasn't overwhelmed with emotion like I was this time.

I was at the airport, and I collected my luggage, and as I was going down the escalator I saw Tracee waiting for me, and all I could do was start crying again and give her a huge hug - and I knew that regardless of where I ultimately ended up, Ottawa would always be home.

 

5 comments:

  1. Oh, this is so sweet. Living so far away from loved ones is so tough! I hope your mum had the surprise of the lifetime!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always dreamed of doing a surprise trip. Hope you got a great reaction!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mum screamed in my face! Hahaha. I have a video somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was an awesome day!! (although I kinda hate the way that shirt made me look HUGE).

    That is my favorite sobbing in an airport story! And your mom's scream was the best!

    ReplyDelete