Thursday, February 13, 2014

Something I left behind

Of course I could go on and on about all of the things I left in Canada when I packed up five years ago and headed across the world.  Two suitcases and a carry-on doesn't leave much room for your stuff.  I had space for clothes, a couple of pairs of shoes, a few books, a framed wedding photo, a photo album and a few other bits and pieces.  Everything else happens to be sitting in my mum and dad's basement or at the farm.  I'm planning to have a pretty good sift through it when I visit home this May and likely get rid of a bunch of stuff.  My brother was lucky enough to have inherited my snow blades, which I received for Christmas a year before  I left.  We were supposed to bring our cat, Max, but he didn't pass Australia's strict quarantine laws (rabies non-responder, long story) and now he has a loving home at my parents'  house (who had previously never owned a cat!)

When I left, my bags were extremely full, practically busting open.  There really wasn't even room for one more thing.  I crammed in as much as I could.  We had those 'heavy' stickers placed on our luggage when we went through the airport - fortunately they were under the limit.

Among the many, many, many, many things (and people) that I left behind, there was one thing that I was so sad about leaving that my first friend from Canada who visited (three months after we moved) brought it to me in her luggage.  The friend was Tracee, and the item was my game of Quelf.



The description of Quelf on boardgamegeek.com states:

Quelf is the unpredictable party game that gives Random a new name!
Whether you're answering hilarious trivia, performing ridiculous stunts, or obeying silly rules, Quelf will inspire you to use your creativity, wit and sense of humor in ways you've never imagined.
As you move around the game board, as one of eight quirky characters, crazy things start to happen. Your friends start talking strangely. Your mom's face is wrapped in toilet paper. Your dad is acting like Dracula. And you are reciting a poem about your armpits.

I bought Quelf on a whim at Miss Tiggywinkles before going to spend an evening with friends of Jeremy's that I didn't know very well.  I was excited about my new, un-tested game and decided to bring it along.  This was the beginning of many hilarious games of Quelf.  I have played it with kids, people my own age, people in their seventies...no matter what, there is always ridiculousness and laughter.  With characters such as Mrs. Picklefeather, the biscuit farmer, and super ninja monkey (who all have their own background stories) how can anyone fail to be amused?   

So thanks, Tracee, for lugging it all the way from Canada.  It has been much appreciated through the years!


4 comments:

  1. That sounds hilarious. I've definitely never heard of that one before!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too bad you didn't have a picture to post of your mom wrapped in toilet paper!! Sounds like a game that I would love to play.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was my pleasure! I was a little worried when the baggage handlers went on a wild cat strike the moment my plane landed, and all of my luggage, and quelf were lost for 5 days!

    I miss you so much! I can't wait for May!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha! I've never heard of this game, but it sounds super fun.

    ReplyDelete