Here are a few items that I have here that I probably wouldn't have at home.
1. Solo - possibly the most delicious soft drink ever. Except I don't generally drink soft drinks, and this is a left over from a past BBQ. I'm pretty sure they don't have Solo in Canada.
2. "Ozemite" and Promite. Strangely enough, no Vegemite! You can clearly tell that someone in this household enjoys this strange paste made from yeast extract (hint: it isn't me!!!) Jeremy searched high and low for this stuff in Ottawa, but it was nowhere to be found (he spent a few years of his childhood in Sydney, which accounts for the strange tastes). Now that we're in Australia, he has found that he has oodles of varieties to choose from!
3. The microwave popcorn is included in this picture not because I can't get it in Canada, but because of the difference of choices between here and Canada. Here, you pretty much have 3 or 4 options...in Canada, there is an endless array of choices (mostly horrendously unhealthy including chemical and fat laden sauces to pour over your popcorn).
The next four things are items that are not necessarily found in Australia that I miss - BUT we may have now found acceptable options.
CRISPERS! These are not normally an item in my pantry, but at this exact moment I happen to have a lovely friend who has just returned from Vancouver...and she brought me TWO bags of Crispers. She's just lovely like that.
CHEESE CURDS! Australians don't know what they're missing! But they're not the only ones...Americans...and people from other areas in Canada even (!) have not experienced this flavoursome goodness in their mouths! I have actually sourced cheese curds at the Alexandrina dairy in South Australia which has a stall at the Adelaide weekend markets. I have only bought them twice (or maybe three times) in the last year, but every time it is an excellent experience which brings back fond memories!
All dressed chips - a flavour which you cannot explain...and apparently they don't have it in the US... but it is my favourite flavour of chips. Here they have strange flavours...like chicken.
And finally...not something that I particularly miss, but something that Jeremy has quite vocal about - CLAMATO. Yes...Canadians (and also Mexicans) enjoy the taste of tomato juice with a hint of clam broth. Makes it...meatier, somehow? He has now found a place that has the equivalent (a Mexican restaurant in Brisbane that sells a similar beverage) and has also found somewhere online that will ship him the stuff. Bless.





I also lament the lack of popcorn choices here in Oz.
ReplyDeleteCan I just say? Wow! I'm very taken a back at some one the Canadian items I haven't heard of... CLAMATO... wow... still just trying to wrap my head around it. :-)
Haahhaha...every time we bring it up, people just honestly can't believe that there's a drink that contains clam juice that people actually like! It's even weirder that my Jeremy likes it, since he is pretty anti-seafood...but there's something about it that he loves! I have to say, a nice spicy Caesar with Clamato is delicious, but you'd only want one drink...not several!
ReplyDeleteHow do you eat the cheese curds? Are they a snack by themselves or do you cook with them? Very intrigued. Also, Solo is amazing!
ReplyDeleteThey can be a snack by themselves, and the other main use is in 'poutine' - the Canadian delicacy which consists of fries, cheese curds, and gravy :)
ReplyDelete